NEW ROADS & STREETWORKS ACT (1991) OPERATIVES COURSE (City & Guids Scheme 6156)
Is designed for Operatives involved in the excavation and reinstatement of openings in the public highway. The qualification is a legal requirement for “statutory undertakers” (ie Utility Contractors) and for those working under section 50 licenses (Drainage works etc). The qualification is also often specified by client organisations and local authorities when appointing contractors for works involving excavation or reinstatement of the highway for other purposes.
The open course offered by TQ Exel is 5 Days and comprises Units 001 to 007 plus 009. Registration with SWQR is available for various other combinations of Units as listed below and attendance can be reduced to suit individual requirements.
Complex 01 – Excavating in the highway.
Comprising of units 001,002 and 003.
Complex 02 – Excavating, backfill and cold-lay reinstatement.
Comprising of units 001,002,003,004,005 and 006.
Complex 03 – Reinstatement of hot and cold lay bituminous materials.
Comprising of units 001,002,006 and 007.
Complex 04 – Reinstatement of concrete slab.
Comprising of units 001,002 and 008.
Complex 05 – Reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways.
Comprising of units 001,002 and 009.
Complex 06 – Signing, Lighting & Guarding
Comprising of unit 002.
At the end of the full course the Candidate SHOULD:
- Be aware of the training and assessment process for a Streetworks Operative under this City & Guilds 6156 scheme.
- Be aware of the Health and Safety legislation and their obligations under this Act.
- Be aware of safe working practices and methods.
- Be aware of reference documentation used within the Highways Industry.
- Be able to carry out Streetworks to the standards set down in the Act.
- Be able to use hand and power tools for the purpose of such works, including Portable Traffic Signal Systems.
- Be able to read and understand site plans for the purpose of identifying underground / overhead apparatus.
- Be able to use locating equipment for the purpose of detecting underground apparatus.
- Be able to set up a site to protect workers and members of the public.
- Each unit of competence is assessed by written & oral questioning.
- Each unit of competence is assessed practically by observation.
- Some units require the candidates to produce sketches.
- Some units require the candidates to carry out risk assessments.
- Basic comprehension of the English Language is necessary.
City and Guilds Certification leading to registration with the Street Works Qualifications Register (SWQR)
- 001 Location and avoidance of underground apparatus.
- 002 Signing, lighting and guarding (Traffic Management).
- 003 Excavation in the Highway.
- 004 Reinstatement and compaction of backfill materials.
- 005 Reinstatement of sub-base and road base in non-bituminous materials.
- 006 Reinstatement of cold-lay bituminous materials.
- 007 Reinstatement of hot-lay bituminous materials.
- 008 Reinstatement of concrete slab.
- 009 Reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways.